Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Pound of Flesh by Sophie Jackson

Orange Is the New Black meets Jennifer Probst’s New York Times bestselling Marriage to a Billionaire trilogy, featuring a strong-minded prison tutor who discovers that her sexy bad-boy student is far more than he appears to be.

Haunted by nightmares of her father’s street murder fifteen years ago, Kat Lane decides to face her fears and uphold his legacy of helping others by teaching inmates at a New York prison. There she meets arrogant Wesley Carter, who’s as handsome as he is dangerous, as mysterious as he is quick-witted, and with a reputation that ensures people will keep their distance.

As teacher and student, Kat and Carter are forced to leave their animosities at the door and learn that one should never judge a book by its cover. As Carter’s barriers begin to crumble, Kat realizes there’s much more to her angry student than she thought, leaving them to face a new, perilous obstacle: their undeniable attraction to one another.

When Carter is released and Kat continues to tutor him on the outside, the obstacles mount. Can they fight the odds to make their relationship work? Will Kat’s family and friends ever accept her being with someone of his background? And will Kat’s discovery of Carter’s role on the night her father died force them apart forever...or unite them?
 
 
MY THOUGHTS:
4/5 Stars
 
I just finished this one last night and overall I really liked it. There were some great scenes and of course a few filler parts I could have done without. To describe it with one sentence... I'd say it was a unique romance with bland moments. ...
 
The storyline was well developed and the romance between the characters was great. The theme though... being that the lead male was in prison... was lacking for me. The prison parts were intense and captivating in the beginning, but there wasn't enough of them. I definitely think the Author should have played up those scenes and kept Carter there longer. He was in his element. The bad boy persona was shining and I craved his unexpected outbursts. When he got parole his character dimmed a bit. He became softer and it threw me for a loop. I think there definitely could have been more suspense that brought out the prison persona in a non prison atmosphere. I also thought that once the big sex scene took place the story kind of got lost in intimate scenes. It felt like there was too much sex and not enough story in the final chapters. With that all being said I LOVED Carter and I even had mad love for Kat. Them together was a whirlwind of deep rooted emotion and undeniable passion. Their romance made my mind race and my heart swoon for sure.
 
I highly recommend it to readers that like edgy romances with hints of mystery. The writing was captivating and the romance seeped from the pages. Can't wait for the next read by this Author!

No comments:

Post a Comment