Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor

A voyage across the ocean becomes the odyssey of a lifetime for a young Irish woman. . . .

Ireland, 1912 . . .

Fourteen members of a small village set sail on RMS Titanic, hoping to find a better life in America. For seventeen-year-old Maggie Murphy, the journey is bittersweet. Though her future lies in an unknown new place, her heart remains in Ireland with Séamus, the sweetheart she left behind. When disaster strikes, Maggie is one of the few passengers in steerage to survive. Waking up alone in a New York hospital, she vows never to speak of the terror and panic of that fateful night again.

Chicago, 1982 . . .

Adrift after the death of her father, Grace Butler struggles to decide what comes next. When her great-grandmother Maggie shares the painful secret about Titanic that she's harbored for almost a lifetime, the revelation gives Grace new direction—and leads both her and Maggie to unexpected reunions with those they thought lost long ago.

Inspired by true events, The Girl Who Came Home poignantly blends fact and fiction to explore the Titanic tragedy's impact and its lasting repercussions on survivors and their descendants.

MY THOUGHTS:
4/5 Stars
 
I always love a good story with a bits of history and deep rooted romance. This one did not disappoint in that aspect. Maggie is a character that all readers will love and her romance with Séamus is understated, but beautiful. While it's not overly intimate, it's a classic love story about overcoming tragedy. I loved their journey, but I did have mixed feelings about Grace's story.
 
While I loved the historical aspect and Maggie, I wasn't a huge fan of Grace. There were multiple times I wanted to close the book during her parts, but the journal entries always pulled me back in. I know Grace was an important role in the story, but I just lacked any connection to her. Where with Maggie I felt the romance and emotion pouring off the pages... Grace's character wasn't as well developed. It wasn't until the end that I truly felt the importance of her. Speaking of an ending.... It was AMAZING! I wanted it to be true, but until it was written in ink I wasn't sure what would happen. It really answered all the questions I had.
 
Overall, I really enjoyed this story. The history sucked me in with it's rawness and the romance consumed my heart. I was pulling for a happily ever after and I feel satisfied with the way everything came together. I definitely recommend this book to all readers that have a love for history. The story of the Titanic is very important and I loved how a fiction tale captured the essence of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment