Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers


I lean forward, pushing my body out past the battlements. The wind plucks at my cloak, buffets against me, as if it would carry me off in flight, just like the birds or the knight's soul. Let go, it cries, I will take you far, far away. I want to laugh at the exhilarating feeling, I will catch you, it whistles seductively.

The convent has returned Sybella to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?
AMAZON LINK- http://amzn.to/1TWAeoK


MY THOUGHTS:
3ish*/5 STARS

I am so on the fence with this one... It could have been my mood or the fact that my reading time was always cut short, but something just didn't click. 

The premise of an assassin nun reeking vengeance was quick to pull me in... However, I just never felt fully connected. I loved Sybella and I loved Beast, but I did not like them together. While I felt the chemistry at times, for the most part I felt more committed to Sybella & Tephanie. I know it's crazy wanting a f/f romance, but after Sybella fleed d'Albret's home I found my heart so conflicted. I thought there were real feelings there and then she just walked away as if Tephanie never existed. Maybe I read into it all wrong... I don't know. There was just intimacy and gentleness between them and I felt like that was the kind of relationship Sybella deserved. While Beast was kind and gentle in his own way, I thought Sybella deserved more. She lived such a heart wrenching life that I wanted her to find comfort and safety.  Maybe that is what she found with Beast, but something was missing for me. I started to feel the relationship bloom towards the end, but it wasn't enough to convince me. There was a lot of talk about Beast being ugly... Where was the talk of his ugliness making him beautiful? Ugh my heart is so torn. Why must Sybella and Beast be together. I need them in their own books.

Obviously, you can tell that I'm conflicted. The first half of the book I was committed to one thing and then BAM Beast is the new focal point and I'm left wanting to go back to the beginning. This review isn't much help so I will leave you with this... The plot was interesting, the character building was intriguing, and of course the story was well written. My issues were with expectations. I wanted one thing, but that was not Sybella's destiny I suppose. Oh well, this series is still one of my favorites and I will continue onto book 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment